Uniden R7 firmware 1.29: Lots of New Changes

Uniden has just released firmware 1.29 (download here) for the Uniden R7 radar detector (purchase here). This update brings a long list of changes that Uniden has been working on the past months including many features specifically requested by enthusiasts.

Uniden R7 firmware 1.29

Uniden R7 running fw 1.29

This firmware update improves MRCD detection range, allows you to dial back the sensitivity of the rear antenna, makes GPS lockouts safer, and includes a bunch of small changes and bug fixes.

Here are all the changes from 1.24 to 1.29, along with my notes about the changes.

Note: This firmware will be publicly added to Uniden’s website next week once they finish updating the R7 manual. It’s being released early on RDF as a treat to forum members so you can go ahead and grab it now.

Note 2: If you’ve never updated R7, you’ll need to download Uniden’s update software and driver from Uniden’s website. (Install the driver first, then the update software.) To save time, direct download links for both Windows and Mac.

R7 Firmware 1.29 Changes

• Improved MRCD detection range and false alert filtering
    • Alert distances against the MRCD are now much better than before and finally usable in practice
    • MRCD falses still happen so leave the setting disabled unless MRCD is in use in your area

R7 alerting to MRCD ahead and 3 locked out K band signals

• Rear Antenna Sensitivity Attenuation
    • This helps better balance front and rear sensitivity to avoid excessively long rear alerts.
    • The new rear antenna sensitivity attenuation option reduces the rear antenna’s sensitivity as a percentage of the detector’s (front antenna) programmed sensitivity level, not as a percentage of the detector’s max sensitivity.
    • For example, if you set the rear antenna to 50% and have the detector set to Advanced Mode with K band set to 70%, the rear antenna’s sensitivity for K band will be 50% of 70% = 35% of max sensitivity.
    • In my quick testing, arrows still flip properly when passing a source, even with the rear antenna sensitivity dialed back.
R7 rear antenna set to 50% sensitivity

R7 rear antenna set to 50% sensitivity

• Improved K Filter for fewer BSM falses
    • I don’t know exactly what the improvements are
    • The R7 with 1.29 still falses more than comparable detectors like the Max 360c or Pro M
  • Narrowed the frequency range of Mute Memory to make GPS lockouts less risky
    • X Band: 25MHz -> 10MHz
    • K Band: 30MHz -> 10MHz
    • Ka Band : 100MHz -> 20MHz
  • If the main alert is locked out, the new second alert becomes the main alert so you can hear, see, and lock out the second alert  as well
    • This ensures new signals (ie. a cop near a speed sign) are given priority so you see and hear them
    • This also makes it easier to lock out additional false alerts in a lockout zone
  • MRCD alert always has priority over other radar alerts (X, K, Ka) even when Ka priority is on
  • MRCD alerts won’t be muted by Quiet Ride
    • Now they’ll always audibly alert even at low speeds
  • Signal strength meter for locked out signals now show up in gray when using the arc-shaped Alert Display #2 mode
R7 arc-shaped strength meter grayed out for locked out signal

Arc-shaped strength meter grayed out for locked out signal

• Amber color adjusted to make it look more amber and less red
  • Arrow Color and Band Colors now also apply to secondary new signals in the All Threat Display
  • Adjusted latch time for the secondary signals in the All Threat mode
  • Added two more steps to Auto Mute volume level setting (0 – 7 levels)
  • If Auto mute volume level set in the Menu is higher than the current volume level, it now alerts at the current volume level
  • The voice announcement for radar or laser alert will no longer go off for the same signal detected again within 30 seconds
  • Alternates Overspeed alert (POI limit speed alarm) and Radar alert when Overspeed alert and radar alert are detected at the same time
  • Overspeed alert for 1.5 seconds
  • Display brightness can now be adjusted more quickly
    • Press and hold “Mute/Dim” key for 0.5 seconds (instead of 1 second) in standby mode to enter DIM mode
  • After manually changing display brightness, detector now returns to standby in just 1 sec instead of 3 sec
  • Displays “MUTE” on screen in green text when a signal has been muted
  • Added blinking Heartbeat icon on the standby display like R1/R3 when set to Scan display

Autolockouts have not been added to this firmware update. I’m not sure when they will be added. My guess is it may be due to the pending lawsuit between Escort and Uniden over autolockouts.

Update: Download firmware 1.29 here.

Tutorial: How to update your Uniden R7.

Purchase: Buy a Uniden R7 here.

This website contains affiliate links.

Click here to read my affiliate disclosure.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.vortexradar.com/2020/01/uniden-r7-firmware-1-29-lots-of-new-changes/

• Rich C on January 22, 2020 at 8:37 am

Awesome! Thank you!

• David on January 22, 2020 at 1:38 pm

why doesn’t my r7 go off for the photo radar in Saskatchewan. it’s laser because bel sti magnum used to go off. do I have something turned off I shouldn’t. I have laser settings turned off. any suggestions.

• Eugene Lorenzetti on January 23, 2020 at 6:58 am

On website Uniden it doesn’t have new firmware for r7 yet ? Unless I’m in the wrong site

1. I updated the article to note that. This firmware should be added on Uniden’s website by next week once they finish updating the R7 manual. It was posted this week on RDF as a treat to forum members so you can grab it early.

• Jeff K on February 21, 2020 at 9:43 am

Hey Mr. Vortex,

It looks like it is still not posted on Uniden web site. I feel more comfortable using firmware direct from Uniden web site. I called Uniden support and they do not have a time table for the release but they recommend waiting for their official release firmware. I was just wondering if you have heard from any connections more recently when it might be officially released?

Thanks!

1. I’m scratching my head on this too. I’ve asked several times and haven’t heard back about it and I have no idea why. Sorry.

• Erik / aka FriscoDad on January 23, 2020 at 12:35 pm

Hey Vortex, any idea if some of these updates are coming to the r3?

• Napster on January 23, 2020 at 5:43 pm

Where can we go to learn about the lawsuit? This (and your new video) was the first I’ve herd about it.

1. If you’re an active RDF member, you can find it here: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/70187/

• DB9 on January 23, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Because the lockouts have changed to a narrower range do we need to delete them all and start over or will they still be okay?

1. Uniden hasn’t said anything about needing to clear existing lockouts. I’ve found that most of them still work fine. If any falses now start alerting because of the reduced lockout range, you’ll need to relock them out.

• Perry on January 25, 2020 at 7:16 pm

Why when I download it all I am getting is the .BIN file?

1. Because this is the firmware update file. If you don’t already have Uniden’s update software installed, you can download that from UnidenMa website.

• neil schenkel on January 26, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Hello Vortex

Is this zip download 1.29 for pc only not Mac

Thanks

Neil

• Mitchell on January 26, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Do they have a mac compatable version yet?

1. You can go to Uniden’s website and download the Mac updater for 1.24. Install that driver and software and use it to install the 1.29 update. I’ve also included direct links on my website so you can download it.

• Vinh on January 28, 2020 at 9:29 am

Hey Vortex! Appreciate your review videos! I’ve been using the Valentine1 for 12 plus years now and just purchased the Uniden R7. I’ve noticed it’s not going off as much as my Valentine1 used to. I’ve driven by city police cars twice here recently and typically Ka band will just light up like crazy, the Uniden R7 didn’t pick it up. Any suggestions? I’m tempted to return it to get the 360C. I like the reported range of the Uniden R7. Thanks in advance.

1. That’s completely normal. If the officer is not actively running radar at that time, your radar detector will not alert, and this applies to the V1, R7, and Max360c.

• Vinh on January 28, 2020 at 11:03 am

I know that much, but it doesn’t seem as responsive. I just literally drove by a cop in a school zone and nothing.

• securityguy on January 28, 2020 at 6:02 pm

Because he wasn’t running with his radar on…not that hard to understand.

• neil schenkel on January 28, 2020 at 7:16 pm

hello vortex

I cant for the life figure out how to get the 1.29 to uodate any suggestions

download drivers and the zip

cant get it to work

very frustrating

thanks

Neil

I cant believe people are saying this is an easy download

1. Sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you’ve followed my step-by-step tutorial and are still having issues, please post on RDF for support.

• Mike on January 30, 2020 at 6:53 am

Are you going to update your prior article, How to Set up the R-7? As a first time owner of a radar detector, I found that article to be very helpful and set my R-7 up using your proposed settings for a beginner. (Only problem I have is that when I travel through Kentucky, the signs used for road construction always causes an alert.) Thanks for all you do. This site is great.

1. The article was updated the same day the firmware came out. The only change is the addition of the rear bal option. Is there something else specifically that isn’t covered in the article that you’re wanting to know? For the road signs, enabling TSF should help filter them out.

• David on February 2, 2020 at 1:18 pm

Thank you for the information you provide. My R7 usually shows the speed of my vehicle. It’s usually 2 mph faster then the car or GPS on my phone. In fact my phone and car are in sync. is the calibration for the speed adjustable + or -?

Again Thank you

• Jake on February 11, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Awsome stuff as always!

• Nate on February 15, 2020 at 12:42 pm

Another great post, Vortex! Thanks for the rundown on the updates.

Bit of a sidebar type question, but it relates to MCRD/T detection ranges. I am in an area that has both fixed and mobile Redflex red light and speed cameras. While I know Radenso is going to be dropping their new AI radar in the future, I am looking for a stopgap right now.

Radenso Pro M and the R7 come to mind and I have watched so many videos at length about their detection ranges for MRCD/T; the only missing link I cannot seem to find solid information on is, what is the effective kill range for these radars? That is to say, at what yards/meters back will these MRCD/T devices pinpoint my vehicle and deem it to be traveling too fast?

Will these new updates to the R7 (generally) give alerts prior to entering the detection zone of these devices?

Thanks!

1. For super specific Redflex or MultaRadar questions, your best bet is to hop onto the forums so you can chat with others who have those systems in use in their area as well. I don’t have any of them here. People who encounter those daily are better equipped to answer your questions. https://www.rdforum.org/index.php

• Terry on February 16, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Thank you for the awesome content and your insights on these radar detectors, keep it up!