fbpx

Uniden R8 Announced

Today at CES, Uniden announced the new Uniden R8 radar detector. I’ve been daily’ing it for the past few months and I’ve been liking it overall. My full review is coming, but let’s take a quick look at the R8, especially including its new improvements over the R7.

Uniden R8 alerting to 34.7 ahead

When the R8 goes on sale later this year, it’ll be a very strong contender for best radar detector on the market.

The R8 is essentially a redesigned R7 with dual LNA’s for longer range, a front facing mute button, Bluetooth, and the same hardware and software improvements added from the R3 to the R4.

Uniden R8 changes over the Uniden R7

• Low Noise Amplifiers (LNA’s) for improved sensitivity and longer range
  • Redesigned case
  • Front facing mute and mark buttons
  • Laser gun ID
  • Auto mode (automatically varies sensitivity based on speed)
  • Support for Gatso RT3 & RT4 photo radar detection
  • Bluetooth for changing settings via upcoming phone app
  • Wired remote control integration
  • Upgraded power cable
  • Supports Uniden’s upcoming laser jammers
  • Additional new display mode #3

Uniden R8 alerting to 33.8 ahead

The Uniden R8 will retail for $699 and will be available for purchase later this year.

Full review still to come. 🙂

This website contains affiliate links.

Click here to read my affiliate disclosure.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.vortexradar.com/2022/01/uniden-r8-announced/

• DG1 on January 5, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Expensive !! Lets hope its worth it I love my R7.

• Jeff T. on January 5, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Looks interesting, like my R7 for everything but laser (only picks up a fraction of the lasers shoots). I pass officer and see gun in hand, nary a peep from R7

• Frank Haren on January 5, 2022 at 3:13 pm

What does upgraded power cord mean ??? Hopefully the R7 power cord will still work… I’ve got 3 of them hardwired in w/ remote mute buttons

• gmm6797 on January 5, 2022 at 3:17 pm

I cant wait for the review and comparison. I am sure the price seems high to many, but it is expected, especially with Thea expected to ne much higher, I am not surprised.

• DAVID Scott on January 5, 2022 at 3:23 pm

Wondering if you have an opinion on this?? After updating with the latest October software for the v1 gen2 I have experienced a multiple ka ramp up and falses, along with very slow arrow transition and alot more laser alert falses.. we need another update to address these issues…

• Tom on January 5, 2022 at 3:47 pm

Hung on to my Escort to compensate for my R7s less than desired Laser sensitivity. Otherwise, the R8 needs to be very significantly better than the R7 for range and selectivity. I’ve done several coast-to-coast drives since I purchased my R7s and (knock on wood) they’ve not let me down. My only complaint is the increasing number of false alarms from BLIS and accident avoidance hardware on other vehicles (usually Subaru, most FCA, and Mazda.)

• MIKE on January 5, 2022 at 4:39 pm

Is it undetected from RDD?

• Ken on January 5, 2022 at 5:01 pm

Nice. Can’t wait to see full review and testing. I love my r7

• Rob F on January 5, 2022 at 5:07 pm

Hopefully we’ll see some nice updates for the R7 as well dur to this release.

• Joe Moore on January 5, 2022 at 7:18 pm

I love my R7 so we shall see where the R8 is better. Front buttons are a good start now distance will help me with my decision, should I stay or should I go

1. I love my R7 too except detection from the Side. Hopefully the R8 will give you more range of detection from the side like the R4. The R7 is just not enough. Not that it happens too often, but I’ve had instances where the cop is in a U-Turn shooting as you go by.

• Jorge on January 6, 2022 at 9:50 am

Great! I can’t wait. I have two cars and I been holding off on a radar detector to see which one updates. So looks like the R8 is going to be on my Model 3.

• Marc on January 6, 2022 at 2:45 pm

My new job means I will be driving the highways a lot more. I wish it was available today, although my R3 has so far served me well. Any idea how it compares with the great range of the R4?

• Jonathan on January 6, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Did I read this right:

“Auto mode (automatically varies sensitivity based on speed)”

This suggests that it can detect the vehicle’s speed. If it does this with a GPS, that implicates Escort’s patent on RDs with GPS. Soooo….does that mean that Escort has licensed use of its patent to Uniden?

If true, that would be big news!!!

• Kevin Bradwell on January 6, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Is there going to be a program to trade in your r7 for the r8?

• ANTHONY EDWARDS on January 6, 2022 at 5:31 pm

I saw a review from stealthveil praising laser and range over the r4 and r7. I want theia but I may trade my r3 for the r8.

• Gk on January 6, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Who wants to purchase a mint condition R7? [email protected]

• WaltM on January 8, 2022 at 11:13 am

Great ! Now I can have an R4 w/arrows and give my R3 to my wife.

• Lee on January 10, 2022 at 8:10 am

For those who think this is expensive. The R7 is $599 suggested retail so this is only $100 more. The same way you can get the R7 discounted you’ll also be able to get the R8 discounted.

• Walter S. Mondschein on January 10, 2022 at 4:23 pm

It may be a while. Now, the R4 is being sold at MSRP, so I’m guessing it’s a waiting game for the R8 to come down in price.

• Lee on January 10, 2022 at 4:54 pm

Christmas and black Friday sales will be the ticket

• Walter S Mondschein on January 10, 2022 at 8:04 pm

You’re right, but I hate to wait that long.

• Don on January 18, 2022 at 12:19 pm

It’s interesting that even with the pandemic raging and semiconductors seemingly in short supply Uniden can bring out yet another great product and all we hear from Radenso is silence on Theia.