Valentine 1 Gen 2: Hands-on First Look

Valentine Research has just started shipping the new Valentine One Gen 2 ($499). This is a huge update to the legendary Valentine One. The new V1 Gen 2 includes many hardware and software improvements.

VR is planning on officially announcing it on their website next week and detailing all of the changes, but pre-orders have started shipping this week. Here’s our first look at the brand new Valentine 1.

First up, here’s the unboxing and hands-on look at the new V1 Gen 2. It’s a 1 hr 40 min livestream and covers a TON of information.

Here’s a few of the highlights of the new V1 Gen 2:

• All new underlying hardware platform
  • Longer range than the V1 Gen 1
  • Much better BSM filtering
  • Brand new LED display
  • Front knob is gone, replaced by a mute button and two volume buttons on top
  • Bluetooth is now integrated in the detector
  • No GPS

There’s a TON of testing to be done so stay tuned for updates as we learn more!

Valentine 1 Gen 2

This website contains affiliate links.

Click here to read my affiliate disclosure.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.vortexradar.com/2020/03/valentine-1-gen-2-hands-on-first-look/

• Tzah on March 6, 2020 at 10:30 am

I’m guessing the V1 gen2 will have much better range, somewhere equal or a little better than the Max 360c at least on 33.8 Ka.
    I wonder if the laser fales alerts has been fixed.

• Frank A on March 6, 2020 at 2:47 pm

Just got off the phone with V1 sales. No trade in of newer units only units that can’t be upgraded!! I bought a new one anyway. I love the thing, what can I say.

• Frank A on March 8, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Sold my old V1 in one day. I got more than double what they were offering for the older V1’s. They still have good value.

• Anthony on March 9, 2020 at 7:43 am

How much is the V1 Gen 2?

1. $499

• Rick on March 9, 2020 at 5:42 pm

when can i buy this new model?

• neil schenkel on March 9, 2020 at 6:48 pm

Does you know of the V1 apps
    Play thru Apple car play to the screen of your auto or only thru the phone

• Neilschenkel on March 9, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Sorry do you know if the V1 apps play thru Apple car play

1. Nope, Apple is super restrictive on which apps can integrate with CarPlay.

• Anthony Leong on March 10, 2020 at 8:55 am

Can I buy one at Valentine 1 Gen 2 now? I don’t see it on their website.

• Frank A on March 11, 2020 at 4:36 am

The web sight has been updated. Lots of new stuff & you can place an order now on line.

• Steve Welch on March 11, 2020 at 8:09 am

I Frank I seen on Valentine 1 website you has a upgrade you send them your old V1 only the Radar no cords only the unit. They will take off $110.00 you have to type in your serial number then print out the form fill it out you keep one copie send the other copie in with the Radar unit. Plus $389.00.

• Steve Welch on March 11, 2020 at 8:11 am

It said taking orders today I think you can best thing to do is call them.

• Anthony Leong on March 11, 2020 at 8:34 am

Also, can I use the R7 and Valentine 1 Gen 2 together in the same car? Since the Valentine 1 Gen 2 doesn’t have GPS to locate all the speed and red light cams.

1. Not simultaneously, no. You need to run only one detector at a time or else they will interfere and cause problems with one another. https://youtu.be/nxtBGUhwpBE

• Mark Massow on March 14, 2020 at 3:55 am

Does the V1 Gen2 false on newer Mazda’s? I am looking to replace my R3. It constantly gives false alerts on K on my 2020 CX-5. I emailed Valentine and I have not received a response.

1. Looks like things are much better with the V1 Gen2 in this regard, including if you drive a CX-5. https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/97248/page-8#post-1401002

• Tzah on March 14, 2020 at 4:10 am

Most fales alerts from Mazda’s on the V1 comes from laser bad filtering, when you turn off laser reception on the V1 it becomes quite vs Mazda’s.
    No change on the V1 Gen2 on laser.

1. That applies to laser, certainly, but not the K band falses.

• Tzah on March 14, 2020 at 8:39 am

True!!! That was my meaning.
    As far as for K falses it does seems to do the job much better.

• David on March 18, 2020 at 5:13 am

On ebay?

• Glen Thompson on March 23, 2020 at 11:43 am

Vortex, appreciate your vids I have learned so much from reading your posts and watching your videos. My question is will the mirror tap for the gen 1 work with the gen 2?